Are you the one who is having sleep problems and want to treat or control insomnia? As you’ve already found out–insomnia is very common. In fact 48% of population experience, either temporary or chronic insomnia problems. If you are also suffering from stress and insomnia then you are not alone.
There is no shortage of advice and cure overcoming insomnia. Drugs can cure insomnia fast, but they come with side effects and you get addicted to them. Natural insomnia remedies are harmless and are well worth giving a try.
Here are the most natural steps to treat & control insomnia and have better night sleep.
1. Make Use of Internal Clock
One of the best ways to overcome insomnia is to use body clock. Human body has an internal clock that can schedule alarms; you need to maintain a daily sleep and wake cycle.
- You can begin training your body by going to bed daily exactly the same time.
- Set alarms to wake-up daily at the same time.
- Try to avoid taking a nap in the daytime.
- Avoid extra sleep even on weekends and holidays.
2. Avoid Distractions
You bed is for sleeping, so avoid other activities on bed.
- Keep your sleeping room away from untidy mass and distractions.
- Don’t watch TV, computers, work or eating while in bed.
- The only thing you can do in your bed, other than sleeping, is reading a book.
3. Recondition Your Environment
Your bed and mattress should be comfortable enough to meet your needs. Wrong mattress can cause sleep disturbance and muscle pains.
- If you are unable to sleep, try to leave room for a while. Come back and clean your bed sheet and surroundings.
- Try to use different type of light source. Experiment if you are comfortable with some different light color.
- Try resettling your bedroom all together if possible. Therapists consider “reconditioning” a strong factor in insomnia control.
4. Eating Habits Help Control Insomnia
Change your eating habits
- Avoid junk foods.
- Involve yourself in some sort of exercise.
- Limit your caffeine and soft drink consumption.
- Avoid Smoking as it can also worsen insomnia.
- Do exercise during the day but do not exercise right before going to bed.
- Eat lightweight meals in the evening, and maintain a gap between evening meals and sleep time.
5. You Can Control Insomnia by Relaxing
Stress causes insomnia, so learn to relax. Lie down, relax on the bed, and start thinking about all the enjoyable events happened in the day.
- Keep smiling while you are relaxing.
- Try to remember the music you enjoy, movies you liked or interesting article you read.
- Think about the enjoyable memories with your family and friends.
- Think of all the difficulties and hurdles you faced and how will you handle them next time.
Why not share with the world your ways to overcome and treat insomnia in the comments below. You can read more studies about insomnia at sleepfoundation.org